Perspective: the art of drawing solid objects on a two-dimensional surface so as to give the right impression of their height, width, depth, and position in relation to each other when viewed from a particular point; particular attitude toward or way of regarding something; a point of view; true understanding of the relative importance of things; a sense of proportion.

I named this blog Perspectives, because I think it might just be what God is growing in me. Slowly but surely, giving me a correct understanding of myself, and by His sweet grace, shifting my perspective away from the slavery of self onto the beauty of Jesus. I hope to have a “true understanding of the relative importance of things”—a right perspective...to find that place of freedom. These posts will hopefully all point back to gaining a truer and better perspective.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Looking back: 100 things I am thankful for this year...

" ...give thanks in all circumstances..." (1 Thess 5:14)

1.     Living with Marve in Apartment #5
2.     Meg, Mags, Mols, Lisa, and Linda….wouldn’t have made it through the year without these friends
3.     Chapel Hill, where every season is lovely
4.     My incredible family….cherish every phone call with them
5.     Foster’s Coffee, Whole Foods coffee…free refills!
6.     Packages from Mama
7.     8-10am… digging in the Word
8.     hanging out with Mason and Grant
9.     Anna Holcombe, Steph Key, SJ Fox, and Abby Haithcock….4 girls that have absolutely blessed me this year
10.   Being with Sydney Andrews in her senior year
11.   The discovery of almond milk
12.   3 way phone calls with Hannah and Natalie
13.   Momma teaching me recipes via phone
14.   Learning to cook and wearing and apron
15.   Envelopes in the mail from Chaway, simply saying "Kate My Love, it is time for you to come home"
16.   The discovery of rainymoods.com
17.   Working out with Holcombe, SJ, and Chooks
18.   Having Anna Dwiggins spend Easter with me
19.   My little brother coming to Tangle in the Triangle
20.   Spending a weekend in Richmond with Albert
21.   Taking Shades to Charleston…every single moment of that trip
22.   Ann Voskamp’s book and blog
23.   Discovery of Acoustic Guitar Radio on Pandora
24.   Sweet time with Coco Mihaich and Beanie and seeing them off at the airport before Malaysia
25.   The beach weekend for Molly’s birthday! Perfect weather with incredible friends
26.   Tim Keller Sermons
27.   The Summit Church
28.   Allergy meds and advil
29.   Getting to make each of our friends feel loved and special on their birthday
30.   Erik and Katie McKee, grace overflowed from them to me
31.   When Grant spills his coffee and we all get a good laugh…daily
32.   Night runs with Mason
33.   Learning to name flowers
34.   Duke Gardens
35.   Learning... chess, tennis, and about the world wars, and French
36.   Outside time and sketching and volleyball
37.   Visiting Grant before his ACL surgery and spending time with his family
38.   Ben Uthe becoming a Christian
39.   The trip to Wilmington in August…SO fun!
40.   Paige Reeves and Deb Lee, two of my dearest friends this year
41.   Katie McCabe, Jess Jordan,  and Anna Noone…one of the friendliest suites in the world
42.   Starbucks at Ram’s Head
43.   Walking to whole foods to get a nice salad with Shades
44.   The cool breeze in the Fall and Spring
45.   Summit Tee’s… softest things in the world
46.   The Summit Staff Retreat and being treated so well
47.   The Thompson Family…David and Jen, I adore them
48.   Taco Thursdays with the D group
49.   Getting to see sailboats
50.   I really am thankful for my iphone, its really cool!
51.   Trojans winning District champs, O’s baseball… and Shades’ excitement at both
52.   Times with Hannah Love, long or short, picking up where we left off
53.   Durham Bulls baseball game for Maggie’s birthday
54.   Sleepovers in Durham and Peace St.
55.   Staff training, a whole week with my favorite people!
56.   Brooke Fraser Radio
57.   Getting to watch to wonderful friends fall in love and get married, Hannah and Nathan Wheeler
58.   Dark chocolate covered raisins
59.   Trader Joe’s delicacies
60.   Psalm 119 and what it’s teaching me
61.   New journals
62.   My supporters…faithful and loving givers...providing for me
63.   Seeing someone understand the Gospel
64.   Students taking a Friday night to attend a worship night
65.   The new light Mason installed outside of my front door…I feel safer : )
66.   My neighbor Candice and her dog Charlie
67.   Signing the lease on a new apartment
68.   The staff retreat in Blowing Rock…restful beyond imagination, and spoiled there
69.   Time at Erik and Katie’s house…fun and refreshing
70.   Watching Reece Butler grow up, couldn’t adore a baby more
71.   Natalie McKinney falling in love and getting engaged
72.   Spotify radio, and that John Mayer song, “In Your Atmosphere (live)”
73.   “It’s a Shore Thing Weekend”…sharing the closet with Sydney, the scary storm, shagging on the beach
74.   Bowe Butler, leading us and loving us so well; his patience
75.   Getting to live so close to Ashley Butler
76.   Grant, CJ, and Mason’s spontaneous trip to Charleston in December…so fun, and Albert loved it best!
77.   The balcony at UNC and getting a text from Dwiggins that simply says “balc” and knowing just what that means
78.   My awesome bike
79.   Getting to meet Emmy Van Iten for the first time and hugging Ally
80.   The ride to Natcon with Maggie May
81.   The senior girls at UNC, Dwigs, and Boat…all people I feel so comfortable around
82.   Sunsets when driving from Raleigh to Chapel Hill
83.   Sunsets and Shiki (Suki) Sushi with Shades
84.   The opening of Sweet Frog in Chapel Hill
85.   Watching Seabiscuit, the first good movie I’ve seen in a while
86.   taking girls home for SB2012
87.   Church with Poppa when I’m home, and every time I get to go home and see my parents and siblings
88.   Quinn Wells and McKenzie Byrd…2 people that make Charleston less lonely for me!
89.   Watching Charles play rugby
90.   Maple View to watch the stars with the D group
91.   My car, Big Bertha: having it frequently hold 7+ people
92.   Being out of control and learning to pray for things
93.   Valentine’s day raisins and a rose
94.   Learning to love evaluations
95.   Sitting on a porch when it’s raining
96.   Faux Fire on the computer in the winter
97.   The CO Office Staff and their patience with my questions
98.   Lunches with Steph Strickland
99.   Prayer cards
100. my boyfriend



1 comment:

  1. i love this. And I also love acoustic guitar radio on pandora. Literally the greatest. Miss you!!

    ReplyDelete